R O unit recommendations

Lighting, filtration etc
DelawareJim

R O unit recommendations

Post by DelawareJim »

I'm on well water and over the last year or so I've noticed my water is starting to get harder. (About the time the new development starting going into the farm next door.). Anyway, I know it will affect the chemistry of my tanks over time as it's already starting to affect my orchids. I'm starting to see mineral accumulations on my semi-hydro pots and some of my more sensitive plants are starting to just not look as good as they used to.

So, I'm looking for an RO unit. For those already using them, I've got some questions.

1. 3 stage, 4 stage, or 5 stage unit?
2. How many gallons per day?
3. Do you use your water as produced or use a storage tank?
4. What size tank?
5. Pressurized or unpressurized?

Right now I'm thinking of a 75 gallon per day unit running into an unpressurized tank (55 gallon poly drum with a tap cut in.). I can draw straight from the tank for the plants and top offs and can blend with tap water for water changes.

Thanks.

Cheers.
Jim
jweis

Re: R O unit recommendations

Post by jweis »

Check out Bulk Reef Supply. They have good systems at reasonable prices and some nice little video clips that explain how to set up their systems. I think their systems are the best value out there.
Julie
37g planted, 11g planted, and three 5.2g planted shrimp tanks.
150EH

Re: R O unit recommendations

Post by 150EH »

What Julie said, check out BRS they have a ton of videos and top notch gear for just a little more than folks selling bargain basement junk. I would recommend the 6 stage that Julie and I have because it protects the RO membrane the best and also has a back wash system that lets you rinse every time to ensure longer replacement intervals on the RO membrane, I've had mine running since May 4th of last year and I'm still producing zero TDS and I've only changed the first cartridge for an upgraded model that is so worth it at $4 or $5 but it's all in protecting that $38 RO membrane and making it last as long as you can.

I too fill a 55 gallon drum with a 300w heater and Taam Rio pump, if you need larger storage Jehmco has what you want, I also got my heater/bulkhead fitting from their catalog

Sincerely,
Tim

Sponsors