Leaking regulators

Lighting, filtration etc
Cory

Post by Cory »

I have a few leaks in my regluator, unbelievable i had a few of them, I was wondering if anyone could tell me the safest way to seal them. I've been told that thread tape may clog a regulator if a peice breaks off. Any merit to that?

I used thread tape on the extreme ends of the male threads, seems to have worked. When i take it apart again i would prefer to do it correctly.
Archie

Post by Archie »

i'm not sure how much you want to alter it or how much you want to spend, but you could rig something with swage-lok products. as far as the tape cloggin the regulator, I haven't heard anything like that ever happening...

are your regulators threads still in tact? if the leak is at the connection with the cylinder (which i hope is the case) then it could be the cylinder threads and not your regulator. if you "rent" your cylinder then you never know if the previous renter was competent enough to put in on straight before cranking down with the wrench...
Cory

Post by Cory »

It was not a surprise i had a leak i knew it was there, so i only cracked the tank and put the pressure on it. I found the tank-regulator leaked, the regulator-high pressure gauge, and the regulator-solenoid leaked. I said well dang no wonder, put some tap on the joints and tightened them up. It seems to be airtight now, tonight will be the test. The threads appeared fine except in some of the grooves there was a greenish powder or paste I couldn't remove. I dont think that it was oxidation, but i could be wrong. I figured it to serve the purpose of tape.
SCMurphy
Site Admin

Post by SCMurphy »

Are you using the plastic washer between the tank and the regulator?
"したくさ" Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

If you've got bait, I've got wasabi!

I wish I could be like Mr. Sarcastic when I grow up! ;)
Cory

Post by Cory »

Yeah, that was an easy fix and didn't require tape. I allowed the fella at Roberts to reattach the regulator, it just wasn't tight enough.

Having taken the thing apart i am not as concerned about the peices of tape clogging the regulator. The holes aren't so small that nothing could be threaded through them. But it seem obvious to me that there is another method for sealing compressed gas joints. I've never seen a regulator with thread tape on it-well that i've noticed-but i have used a lot of regulators too.

Sponsors