Cardina sp. "purple zebra"

Discuss planted aquarium inhabitants
Cory

Cardina sp. "purple zebra"

Post by Cory »

I found the amano shrimp tank at AC and no one was around, on the 2nd shelf there was "purple banded shrimp". After about 5 minutes of trying to swish them outta the plants, i found them hiding under the drift wood. They are tiny ~0.5", and banded distinctly, here's a forum link with a picture from the singapore site - the only place i could find them. Have to register but i imagine most of you already have.

http://www.petfrd.com/forum/showthread. ... ght=Purple

Expensive though ~6.50 or 6/$24.00 and the guy that fished out my batch netted one w/ half a set of legs, so i paid for 5 and one goner. I hadn't seen them before so they got me on an impulse buy. Can't find any info on them in regard to how to raise some more, hopefully it's a surpressed cycle - the amano's cured me of actually trying to get things to spawn.

Cory
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

You mean these: :mrgreen:

They have been saying they were trying to get those in for a good while now. It's nice to see they finally actually did. Nathan and I have been checking in from time to time, but with both of us moving soon neither of us pursued them to the point of purchasing them. The price is steep, but I have never seen them for sale anywhere so in that respect it was a good deal.
gnatster

Post by gnatster »

I must show restraint at this time and see if they last in the store for 2 weeks. With a move this weekend there is no way I can be adding more livestock.
Nathan
Cory

Post by Cory »

What's the name of the thread where that picture is from? Or what other names have you seen them under?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I forget which thread it was. Just search the forum for "purple zebra" and you should find it right away. That is the only name I have seen used so far.
Jamie G

Post by Jamie G »

I looked in the tank @ AC for them last night, and didnt see them. ( didnt want to turn up the wood )
Cory

Post by Cory »

I think that's a problem w/ them, they are really shy, probably 40 of them were on the bottom of that drift wood. They aren't very aggressive feeders either. Maybe they are nocturnal or just boring. The ones that i can find sit under a rock overhang in my tank.

Sponsors