Have you guys seen or heard anything about this? HR 669 ?

News & upcoming events
aquariumdepot

Have you guys seen or heard anything about this? HR 669 ?

Post by aquariumdepot »

HR 669 - "The Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act"

Take a look at this, the news has been going around and I hope that it is all just a bunch of drama that will not ammount to anything. But its worth getting the word out about how rediculous this act really is.

Here is a link to the PIJAC site that has more details.

http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102545305683& ... CdHe6bhxY=
magsdez

Post by magsdez »

Scott was telling me about this.
ARRGG. I know what the problem is now. The bill was introduced by a Rep from GUAM!!! I LIVED there! My guess is that this all stems from the problem that guam has of nonnative snakes that had been introduced during WWII. The snakes decimated the native bird population. But this bill kinda sounds a lot like closing the barn doors after the horses have escaped. They really should be concentrating on other things right now, IMO.
Bridget
DelawareJim

Post by DelawareJim »

For those who may be interested in the bill...

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:h669:

Cheers.
Jim
marge618

Post by marge618 »

This issue came up at CCA. It seems that if the bill were to pass it would become ... illegal .... to purchase plants/ fish/ critters in VA and take them home to MD? This could potentially zap the tropical fish hobby.

This issue would be better addressed at the state level. Seems to me that each state should be capable of deciding what they DO NOT want brought in.
(i.e. Fish from SA and Africa would never survive the cold winters in MD. so MD would not need to bar them.)
DelawareJim

Post by DelawareJim »

The bill establishes a risk assessment process for ranking the invasive potential of species imported into the US and their potential threat to native species.

Within 3 years of passage of the bill, the Secretary of the Interior shall publish a list of species legal to import and a list of prohibited species. (The list of prohibited species will most likely be the existing Federal list of invasive species. Many States also have a list of invasive species illegal in their State that have species currently not on the Federal list.)

You will have to obtain a permit to import a species into the US. (Michael, Ghazanfar, Sean, Jim)

Prohibitions- Unless you have obtained a permit, it is unlawful for any person subject to the jurisdiction of the United States to--

(1) import into or export from the United States any nonnative wildlife species that is not included in the list of approved species issued;

(2) transport between any State by any means whatsoever any nonnative wildlife species that is not included in the list of approved species;

(3) violate any term or condition of a permit issued;

(4) possess (except as provided in section 3(f)), sell or offer to sell, purchase or offer to purchase, or barter for or offer to barter for, any nonnative wildlife species that is prohibited from being imported under paragraph (1);

(5) release into the wild any nonnative wildlife species that is prohibited from being imported under paragraph (1); or

(6) breed any nonnative wildlife species that is prohibited from being imported under paragraph (1), or provide any such species to another person for breeding purposes.

There will be a fee to conduct the risk assessment for any species added to the permitted list.

There will be a fee to conduct the risk assessment for any species added to the prohibited list.

More than likely, every importer, exporter, large pet shop, and collector in the country will obtain a permit and the approved list will be so broad we won't notice any change.

Cheers.
Jim

Sponsors