March meeting Mt Airy MD

News & upcoming events
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

Chris,
If you can't find any Blyxa aubertii through the club, I did see it for sale at the Aquarium Depot last weekend .
Paul
MaggieBennett

Post by MaggieBennett »

I'm planning to bring some baby Apisto cacatuides triple red. Not sure how many--any ideas on a good number for the bag? I think they're still a bit too young for me to sex.
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

At CCA (cichlid club) meetings, apistos usually show up as pairs, trios, or 6-packs. If they're not sexable, 6-packs are fairly common.
Sonny Disposition

Post by Sonny Disposition »

The idea is that, if you can't tell males from females, the probability of getting at least one of each is nearly a certainty if you have six individuals. Less than six, then the chances that you'll get all males or all females increase. I don't know what the source of that is, and I don't know enough about probability to be able to explain it, but that's the reasoning behind it.

Maybe one of you smart people could help me out.
Bob

You never know what you're going to find, or where you're going to find it. So keep looking.
chris_todd

Post by chris_todd »

Sonny Disposition wrote:I don't know enough about probability to be able to explain it, but that's the reasoning behind it.

Maybe one of you smart people could help me out.
Well, I'm not very smart, and I'm not even that good at math (I just tried to pay someone on APC $24 for $22 worth of Marsilea Minuta, LOL), but I do know probabilities (Poker is useful for something, I suppose).

If the probability of getting a single fish of a given gender (M or F, doesn't matter) is 0.5, then the probability of having both fish of a pair be the same gender is 0.5 * 0.5 = 0.25 or 25%. For six fish, the probability of them all being the same gender is 0.5^6 = .015625, or 1.5625%.
Judi

Post by Judi »

chris_todd wrote:here's some of what we're looking for:

marsilea
downoi
blyxa japonica
eleocharis acicularis
Chris, I need to thin my downoi and my Blyxa japonica. I won't be making it to the meeting, but you can come by if you want some.
Last edited by Judi on Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
ddavila06
GWAPA Member

Post by ddavila06 »

does any of the locals know of a good pet shop to visit while we are out there? since im going so far, why not stop for a break right? :D
Damian Davila
"Fishes-up, chill, Plants too"
"so many plants, so little space!"
ingg

Post by ingg »

Scales is only slightly out of the way coming from VA. Probably add 15 minutes to the commute.

Rick's in Frederick is another one worth a visit, and again adds about 15 minutes to a Virginia commute.

Can only do one or the other though, doing both is a lot longer round trip sort of thing. ;)

Aquarium Depot is a bit more out of the way, about 30 minutes east of me - only slighly out of the way for Baltimore commuters, but a wide swing for Virginia commuters.

Scales and AD are both sponsors of the club, so I do encourage folks to swing by them!

PS It really isn't "so far". While I might live outside of Baltimore instead of just off the Baltimore beltway, the commute from 90% of VA spots to here is no longer than the commute to any of the Ellicott City/Columbia/Catonsville type homes we've been in before, sheesh! Y'all make it sound like I live in Wisconsin or something. :?
Last edited by ingg on Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
chris_todd

Post by chris_todd »

I've never been there, but there's also Tropical Fish World in Gaithersburg that is probably "on the way" for folks coming from VA.
ingg

Post by ingg »

TFW is 5 minutes off of 270 - tough to mix with a Scales visit, but not too bad if you are willing to spend a little extra time and have GPS to navigate across. ;)
Dave

Sponsors